An online questionnaire was conducted with 223 participants enrolled in dental / oral care courses in Australian Universities. The questions included:
- Why they did or did not purchase loupes
- Benefits and limitations of loupes
- If they would recommend using loupes to other students
Of the sample, 45.7% wore loupes while the remaining 54.3% did not. Both groups named price as a big deciding factor between buying and not buying loupes.
Of the group that wore loupes, 87.9% claimed that their posture was improved and 63% felt their patient care quality was increased with the addition of loupes. Additionally, 94% noticed improved quality in their work while using loupes.
Interestingly, various limitations were listed off within the questionnaires (eg. adjustment period) yet an overwhelming 96% of loupe-users still recommend loupes to their peers. This indicates that current loupe users believe that the overall benefits gained from using loupes outweigh the limitations they experienced.
This research article requires access via an institution or direct purchase.